Are you constantly lying awake for ages or waking up in the middle of the night? Then listen up on why this Good Night Smoothie Recipe for Anxiety can help you too.
Until about 2020, I never experienced anxiety or any kind of mental health issues. But through migraines, stress and fewer social interactions, I’ve been experiencing more and more mental health problems. When I’m surrounded by a few people, in a small space or when it’s a little louder than usual, I can feel my body changing; Then my heart starts to beat faster, my eyes start to tear up and I’m getting super hot. So this Sleep Smoothie for anxiety helped me over time sleep better and improve my mood and battle these mental health issues (bit by bit, day by day). I’ll explain how further down…
Why you’ll love this Sleep Smoothie Recipe for Anxiety & Mental Health
4 Reasons why you’ll love this Sandman Sleep Smoothie Recipe with Cacao and Banana for Anxiety:
- It’s low calorie, high protein, fibre and fat.
- The cacao and banana in this smoothie will improve your sleeping quality over time.
- The smoothie boosts your mood and fights mental health!
- It’s super fast made in just 3 minutes!
WHEN YOU BUY THROUGH LINKS TO MY SITE, I MAY EARN A SMALL AFFILIATE COMMISSION AT NO EXTRA COST TO YOU. ♡ I ONLY TRULY SHARE PRODUCTS I BELIEVE YOU’LL LOVE AS MUCH AS I DO ->DISCLOSURE
DAIRY-FREE, VEGAN, VEGETARIAN, GLUTEN-FREE (choose certified gluten-free oats), AND NATURALLY SWEETENED.
Raw cacao powder is much better for your blood circulation because it contains higher levels of Theobromine, compared to cocoa.
H3 Smoothie recipe video.
Watch the video of the Sleep Smoothies for Anxiety and Sleeping Troubles.
How many calories are in this Healthy Smoothie Recipe with Cacao, Bananas and Peanut Butter?
This smoothie contains only 283 calories.
How much protein is in this Smoothie for better sleep and a better mood, anxiety and depression?
This contains 20% – 11g of protein, which is a great amount for a high-protein smoothie.
How much time do you need to make this Smoothie recipe?
You only need 3 minutes to make this Sandman smoothie before going to bed or you can make it as a low-calorie high protein smoothie (meal-replacement) smoothie.
Is this Bedtime Smoothie for Anxiety and Sleeping Troubles recipe a breakfast evening or lunch recipe?
It’s a great dessert smoothie, that you can enjoy before going to bed, but can also drink it in the morning as a breakfast smoothie, for lunch or as a workout smoothie as it’s high in protein and fibre, which is fuel for your body.
So it’s good if you have it for at least a few hours before going to bed.
What does the Bedtime Sleep Smoothie Recipe taste like?
This smoothie tastes slightly of peanut butter, with a hint of chocolate. It is slightly sweet from the ripe bananas that you added and from the oats.
If you want to add more sweetness, you can add vanilla bean paste to the smoothie, which adds more sweetness
Health benefits of this Sleep Smoothie Recipe For Anxiety and Sleeping Troubles
1. Mood Booster and Anti-Depressant
This smoothie can help you to bring in a better mood, because of the cacao powder in this sleep smoothie recipe for anxiety.
Cacao contains serotonin, tryptophan, tyrosine and phenylethylamine.
They are the reason why you are craving chocolate or cacao on days when you are feeling low because they give you a feeling of happiness, and well-being and fight depression.
2. Improves your brain function
The cacao in this bedtime smoothie also helped to prevent neurodegenerative diseases (such as Alzheimer’s disease) and even improves brain functions.
3. It may help with weight loss and control
Cacao can even help with weight loss and management, did you know? Yes, cacao is associated with a lower weight. But it is not clear which type of cacao is necessary to achieve a better weight loss effect. So more studies are needed.
Also bananas could be beneficial in weight control, as they support digestive health. Bananas are high in fibre. And this smoothie contains 27% of fibre (based on a 2.000calorie diet). Plus bananas are packed with resistant starch, which can fill you up quickly and reduce your appetite.
4. Anti-cancer fighting properties
The superfood; Cacao powder has shown promising anti-cancer fighting properties.
5. Skin health
Did you know, that Cacao is also beneficial for your teeth and skin? It can protect your skin from sunlight, boost your circulation and is hydrating. Amazing, right?!
6. High in calcium – 38%
7. High in magnesium – 36% for better sleep
Why is magnesium so important for you? Because it also helps you to sleep better!
A study of 46 adults showed those who took magnesium supplements, that slept much better after taking the supplement.
Magnesium is otherwise good in fighting migraines, helps in controlling type 2 diabetes, plays an important role in your heart health, might help in lowering your blood pressure and much more.
8. Extremely high in antioxidants
Cacao and bananas are loaded with antioxidants!
The less processed the chocolate is, the higher the antioxidant level is. If you use unsweetened, raw cacao powder, then this means, the antioxidant level is much higher.
In chocolate itself, the antioxidant level is much more reduced, as its more processed.
But also bananas are an excellent source of dietary antioxidants, that fight chronic diseases and are key to a healthy, well-balanced diet.
9. Deep Sleep
Not only thank the high levels of magnesium in this smoothie the reason, why this recipe is making you sleep better. Also, the chemicals serotonin and tryptophan are reducing depression and with that better sleep.
- Calories: 288 Kcal
- Fat: 7 g (11%)
- Carbs: 47g (18%)
- Sugars: 10g (11%)
- Protein: 10g (20%)
- Fibre: 8g (27%)
- Vitamin B6: 26%
- Potassium: 18%
- Calcium: 38%
- Magnesium: 36%
- Iron: 21%
- Zinc: 19%
- Phosphorus: 36%
- Vitamin A: 9%
- Vitamin C: 8%
- Thiamin B1: 37%
- Riboflavin B2 13%
- Folic Acid B9: 21%
- Vitamin D: 28%
- Vitamin E: 35%
The percentage value is based on a 2.000-calorie diet (calculated from whisk.com).
While this smoothie is healthy and contains vitamins and nutrients, there are still ways to make it healthier:
The 3 min Soothing Sandmann Smoothie for Sleeping Troubles, Anxiety and Low Mood with Cacao and Banana
- Blender high-speed or budget blender
- 1 cup plant-based milk unsweetened (almond, nut milk or other favourite milk)
- ½ or ¾ cup oats (certified gluten-free if wanted)
- 1 Tbsp cacao powder unsweetened, organic, fair-trade
- 2 Tsp peanut butter organic, chunky or smooth
- 1 cup bananas ripe, frozen (cut into 1 cm pieces)
- Blend the oats to oat flour first (or as fine as possible for a smoother blend).
- Then add your favourite milk to the oats.
- Next scoop in your cacao powder and the peanut butter into the blender.
- OPTIONAL: I recommend blending everything now, before adding the frozen bananas, so the powder and peanut butter, and oats become as smooth.
- Finally, toss the frozen banana chunks into the smoothie blend. Use your pulse setting if you have it, to break down the bigger banana chunks, then start blending until smooth.
My Favourite Smoothie Recipe Items
Want to see the US products? simply click on the items, and then you’ll see the Amazon US links.
Chocolate Lovers Must Try
Secret Smoothie Tools & Ingredients To Create The Best Recipes – Always
- Tropical Golden Spoon Set | Pineapple | Palm Tree
- Mason Glass Tumbler | Bamboo Lid | Metal Straw | Ball | Wide mouth
- FREE mini recipe E-BOOK | Smoothie recipes | Rainbow Recipes
- Metal Straw Set | Wide & Thin | Set | Sustainable
- 8 Piece Measuring Cups and Spoons | Stainless Steel | Engraved
- 4x Silicone Freezer Bags | Food Storage | Liquid & Dry | Reusable | Sustainable
- Xanthan Gum | Thickening Agent (to make thicker smoothies)
- Organic Superfood Blend (Energy + Mood Booster, Maca , Ashwagandha & more)
- Blue Spirulina Powder | Superfood | Vegan | Protein
- Cheapest Blender (less than 20)
- Vitamix Tamper (Short | Plastic | 32 + 48 ounce | E310)
- Affordable Small Ninja Nutri Slim Blender (Ice, Fibre, Nut Crushing)
Topping Ideas For This Sleep Smoothie Recipe For Anxiety
You can make this smoothie also a thicker smoothie bowl and add delicious toppings.
See here great tips on how to make smoothies thicker, and creamier: 16 SECRETS – How to make a smoothie thicker Smoothie
- Organic Puffed Milled | Topping | Fibre | Digestion | Heart | Liver
- Organic Coconut Shredded | Fibre | Topping | Memory | Heart
- Toasted Coconut Flakes | Unsweetened
- Chocolate Covered Hemp Seeds | Superfood | Topping
- Coffee Beans | Chocolate Covered | Protein
- Seed Mix | Organic | Hemp Seed Hearts | Chia | Flax
- Peanut Butter POWDER | 87% Less Fat | Extremely High Protein
- Cashew Nut Butter | Artisana | Certified Organic | RICH
- Almond Butter | Great Taste | Bulk | Pip & Nut
More Smoothie Ingredients For Anxiety That You Should Try
The Sandman Smoothie Ingredients (for Anxiety)
MILK, PLANT-BASED (UNSWEETENED):
Choose your favourite milk. This is the base of the bedtime Sandman Smoothie. Nut Milk would be delicious, like hazelnut milk, almond milk (low calorie, but not very environment friendly), or soy milk (highest nutritional profile, besides cow’s milk).
You can use certified gluten-free oats. Any oats type is fine. I used old-fashioned oats, but you can even use steel-cut oats if you add them first into the blender and blend them fine to nearly oat flour.
CACAO, RAW, UNSWEETENED:
The unsweetened, raw cacao powder is less processed and is high in antioxidants. For sweetness, we have bananas, and oats. Plus as explained in the health benefits, unsweetened cacao powder can has been added to this smoothie as it makes you sleep better and can improve your sleep.
PEANUT BUTTER, ORGANIC:
The peanut butter adds fibre and a delicious nutty flavour to the smoothie. It is also heat healthy and can reduce the risk of memory disorder and Neurodegenerative Disease, while it lowers the risk of diabetes.
BANANAS, FROZEN, RIPE:
Bananas make the smoothie thicker, and creamier, and add the sweetness that the smoothie still needs. Besides bananas also help you to sleep better, because they are high in magnesium and potassium.
VANILLA BEAN PASTE:
To add more sweetness and flavour.
To add more thickness, while keeping it low calorie and to sneak it additional health benefits.
Is this Sandman Sleep Smoothie Recipe vegan?
Yes, this recipe is vegan.
Is this Smoothie gluten-free?
Yes, make sure to choose certified gluten-free oats.
Is this Smoothie a dairy-free smoothie?
Yes, this Smoothie for a better goodnight sleep, anxiety, and mood are also dairy-free.
How To Make The Best Anti-Anxiety Sleep Smoothie Recipe
- Use ripe bananas (3 BEST + EASY Recipes for Baked bananas)
- Cut the bananas into equal, small pieces before freezing
- Make sure to blend the oats first, then add the milk (ignore the order in the video)
- Use high-quality peanut butter
- You can freeze or refrigerate the smoothie (Check out the full guide)
Similar Smoothie Recipes, you’ll also love!
More Chocolate Sleep Smoothie Recipes That Boost Your Mood
- RICH + HEALTHY: Chocolate Almond Smoothie Bowl (The WORLDS BEST Recipe)
- The HAPPY VEGAN CACAO Smoothie Bowl Recipe (You Must Try)
Dessert-like Smoothies with Oats
Dessert & Snacks (Smoothie Add-Ons)
- HOW TO make the Recipe for the Magic Shell-Chocolate hardening sauce
- 5 WAY CHOCOLATE-COVERED Mixed Nut Recipes (High Protein for kids)
- 10 Ways – How To Colour Chocolate (In Rainbow Colours) Without Food Colouring
- Delicious 3 Way Baked Banana Recipe for Dessert & Breakfast
SWEET + POWERFUL: Recipe for a Blackberry zucchini smoothie for you to lose your belly fat FAST
More Smoothie Categories
- 5 ingredient smoothie or less
- All year round smoothies
- Autumn + winter smoothies
- Banana-free Smoothies
- Best meal replacements
- Breakfast smoothies
- Detox smoothies
- Easy + Quick Smoothies
- Energizing smoothies
- Fruit smoothies
- Gluten-Free Smoothies
- Green Smoothies
- Guides, tips, tricks & overviews
- Gut Health Smoothies
- Hidden Veggie Smoothie
- High Calcium Smoothies
- High Fibre Smoothies
- High Magnesium Smoothies
- High Protein Smoothies
- How To's
- Iron Smoothies
- Low sugar Smoothies
- Mental Health Smoothies
- Mixed recipes
- Round-Up Post
- Skin Smoothies
- Snack smoothies
- Summer + spring smoothies
- Superfood Smoothies
- Vegan Smoothies
- Vitamin A Smoothie
- Vitamin B Smoothie
- Vitamin C Smoothies For Skin
- Vitamin D Smoothie
- Vitamin K Smoothies
- Weight-loss smoothie
- Workout smoothie
- Zinc Smoothies
Save This Recipe For Later
Comments & Feedback
Do you have any questions or feedback?
What did you think of this chocolate sleep smoothie recipe? Of course, there is no magic drink that curs anxiety overnight. But if you make this smoothie for anxiety over a few weeks, hopefully, your sleep will improve. And so does your mood.
Let me know if you liked this recipe?!
Please also don’t forget to get the FREE weekly newsletter 🙂
All the best,